Friday, May 14, 2010

How can i calm my pug down so i can cut her nails?

she is almost a year and she freaks out when we try to cut her nails. it takes 3 of us. my mom cuts her nails i hold her and the day care boy feeds her cheeto puff popcorn but she still wiggles and scratches and pulls her legs backHow can i calm my pug down so i can cut her nails?
oh geez lol! I just cut my dogs yesterday shes a german shepherd she was like out of control and would flinch and pull her paw away when we tried to clip them so we just fed her treats(DOG ONES not cheetos lol) while we did it and said ';Good girl'; in a soothing calm voice and now shes fine!Hope this helps!How can i calm my pug down so i can cut her nails?
My Aunt has a pug who is just like this, she freaks every time, even though we worked with her since she was little. She screams and scratches; it's awful. Once we took her to Petsmart to have it done, and they actually pulled her leg so hard it messed up her hip and numerous vet trips ensued. So basically, we do what you do. One of us holds her and talks in a soothing voice to her, one of us cuts, and one feeds treats. It is not ideal, but the longer you do it, the faster it goes and you deal with it better.
If I were you, I'd take her to PetSmart to get that done. My dog's just like that, and if I tried to cut her nails, I guarantee I'd make her bleed. The people at PetSmart (or any pet store, for that matter) are trained, and they've got the equipment to control her. It only costs $8. I wish I could be of more help.
You want to make sure that you don't make nail cutting a bad experience. Reward her for sitting still. Always use constant reinforcement.


Or just wait till she is sleeping to do it.
I don't know. My pug doesn't even like anyone to touch his paws or face.





I either let the vet or groomer cut his nails. It's to nerve wracking for me to do.
This seems to be a Pugism. We have lots of pugs come infor nail clipping and the majority act like this.
you need to work with her constantly. not just when you are trying to trim her nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment