Friday, May 14, 2010

I have a five month old walker coonhound. I'm having trouble getting him to settle down to clip his nails!

I need the right approach to keep him calm. I'm getting frustrated and scratched up. I don't want to send him to a groomer. I can do this myself.I have a five month old walker coonhound. I'm having trouble getting him to settle down to clip his nails!
You need to desensitize him to having his paws handled. Most dogs are not fond of people messing with their feet, so before going at him with the nail clippers, you need to spend some time showing him that touching his feet is no big deal. Next time you are just sitting around watching TV, get some dog treats and sit down next to your dog. Touch his foot a little and give him a treat. Gradually over a few days, keep doing this and handling his feet a little more each time, going from just touching them with one finger to actually holding onto his foot with your whole hand. Once he's become comfortable with you handling his feet, you can try clipping again, but take it slow. It takes me about 15 minutes to clip my bloodhound's nails because he really isn't that fond of the process and I have to clip a nail, then let him chill out for a second, the clip another. My coonhound, however, just takes it like a man. :)I have a five month old walker coonhound. I'm having trouble getting him to settle down to clip his nails!
Well two things if your getting frustrated send to the vet or get a all around leash
Yes,you CAN!! Do em BEHIND HIS BACK!!Like a horse! That way you can CLAMP him between your body %26amp; arm! Tell him ';Foot!';,pick (rear first)up %26amp; DO IT! One at a time %26amp; treat if you have to. He'll learn.
put him on a table, you sit at a chair and pick up his paws one at a time. if this doesnt work, have someone else hold him.
try some peanut butter in a Kong toy or on a spoon or on a dog cookie. It's really typical of pup this age to be wild !!


be patient %26amp; even if you can do 1 nail at THAT sitting, praise him %26amp; try again later. don't ever force the issue.


You can also try to sneak over when he's napping %26amp; clip 1-2 then.


good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment