Friday, May 14, 2010

My dog wont let me cut his nails, how can I get him to calm down so I can do it without being bit?

he never had this problem before, I have had him for 4 years and either I cut his nails or the groomer. All of sudden he snarls and comes close to bitting me every time I go near his foot with the clippers





What can I do with being gouged at the pocketbook.


why is this happening?My dog wont let me cut his nails, how can I get him to calm down so I can do it without being bit?
It seems he may have gotten hurt before. Put a muzzle on him and then be gentle. Always show that it is no big deal for him to get his nails cut. Don't put a muzzle on only when you're going to cut his nails, otherwise he will figure out what is going to happen after the muzzle. Practice putting the muzzle on periodically without his nails being cut.My dog wont let me cut his nails, how can I get him to calm down so I can do it without being bit?
I think Petsmart and Petco trim nails for around $7 which isn't a bad price.





But, you should be able to teach your dog to allow his nails to be clipped. You can try a muzzle, and have someone else help you do the trimming by controlling the dog as you trim.





You can also try just holding and his feet and toes as you feed him treats to get him to associate having his feet handled with getting something good to eat.





Then, don't do too much at one time and be sure you don't cut too much off to cause bleeding. .
did the groomer maybe hurt him or be very rough with him?





start again. Put away the clippers and just get him used to having his feet handled again. Then when he relaxes clip one quickly with sharp clippers and shove a treat into his mouth before he has a chance to decide to be angry again. Do another the next day, another the next etc until he gets used to it again
I had fantastic luck with a device I got at WalMart. It's a rotating sander rather than a pinching clipper, and the dog is much more relaxed about it. It does sound a lot like a vacuum cleaner, though, so that can be an issue with dogs that are sensitive or aggressive toward that noise.





I'll post a link for it below, maybe it will help. Two of my dogs have had issues with nail clippers, and it is a fairly common issue with the terrier family, from what I've read. They have sensitive nails, and unless the clippers are exceedingly sharp, they can pinch and rip the dogs' nails.





https://www.buypedipaws.com/?mid=547821%26amp;鈥?/a>
Our dog is the same way, she refuses to let us do it, so we take her to the groomers, its 10$ + tip. They say its easier when its not their owners doing it, I have NO idea why though.





Edit: I don't know why I got a thumbs down, lol. Our groomer told us in most cases the dog would rather allow a stranger to do in then the owner and that is all they told me.
make sure you have lots of tiny treats available, and feed him a few as he sniffs and examines the clippers. Put the clippers down and try gently touching his legs and feet with your hand, frequently offering treats. If he doesn't take the treats (but under normal circumstances would), he's still too nervous, and you need to slow down. Touch higher up on his body and legs, and take your time.
Either you or the groomer has hurt his toes at some point. There is actually a nerve growing down toward the tip of the nail and if you clip off too much it will hurt. It can also bleed.


You could try a muzzle for clipping time.
He's probably too old to try to get him to learn to relax at this point, you should have cut his nails as a puppy or at least when you got him. Your best bet would be to bring him to the groomer. Be glad dogs are forgiving creatures :)
HI there, if he is uncomfortable with you touching his paws, it might pay to just get him used to the idea of you holding them without doing anything else. Once he is calm let him sniff the clippers and then have a go.
evidently the groomer clipped to close and hurt him, whether admitted or not. Try a muzzle if you actually fear getting bit or have someone hold his head
my dog is the same way....and when it came down to it..we had to take it in to get them clipped.





it was only liek 5-10 bucks though..nothign gouging
will a dog muzzle work?

No comments:

Post a Comment