Saturday, January 23, 2010

How can I get my 9 month old Lab puppy to settle down enough so that he can get his nails trimmed?

He really needs it,but I tried and he went nuts,so I took him to Petsmart grooming and he was even more hyper about it there.





He has recently had obedience training,and took to that well.However,he wants his nails left alone!!How can I get my 9 month old Lab puppy to settle down enough so that he can get his nails trimmed?
touch your dogs foot, and give a treat. repeat all day. next day, start by touching foot and giving treat, then switch to touching foot with trimmer and treating. continue all day.


same thing next day, only substitute holding paw, and touching with tool at end. Don't clip yet! just keep that positive association going.


repeat for another day. Keep progressing this way, till he's comfy, and looking forward to it. Just trim one the first time,and give him a handful of treats. soon he'll be begging you to trim his nails.How can I get my 9 month old Lab puppy to settle down enough so that he can get his nails trimmed?
I had a cocker that just freaked when I tried to clip his nails. He struggled terribly. My husband and I tried laying on him and holding him, to no avail. We were afraid he would dislocate a joint if we kept trying. The vet said we just didn't know how. She had me leave the room. When she called me back in she was all desheveled (sp?), sweaty and exhausted. She couldn't do it either. I figured this out:





Find something he likes: petting, stroking, brushing. Do it until he lays quietly. Hold and rub his feet, getting him used to them getting gentle handling. Have an emery board handy. Lightly hold one paw and gently run the emery board on a nail. Do it more just back and forth lightly (you don't have to actually be effective yet). Continue with a bit more pressure and holding each nail more firmly. All 5 of my dogs find this to be not only tolerable, but soothing. Then you have a choice. You can either relax them with a bit of filing and then slip in the clipper and clip one then immediately go back to filing as though nothing happened, or if your dog still hates the clippers too much, try just filing them regularly. Consider it a bonding session. Let him lay on your lap while you watch TV and file his nails. Oh, yes. . .and give treats throughout the session. My dogs just go to sleep. Of course, they go to sleep now when I clip/groom them with the clippers also. Good luck. Let me know if it works. I wonder about the little rotary nail sander they sell now, also.
i LOVE labs and i know a lot about them so i defiantly know that they are extremely hyper.first,let the dog know that the clippers wont hurt and let them sniff and know that its all right.every day put them near ur dog and let it sniff it and stroke with it on its paw to say its all right.afetr a week or so of duing that not earlier then start clipping.make sure before u do this u introduce it and clip and all after a long walk or good run outside.the key thing of training any pup especially labs is to tire them out first and get all there energy out so thats how they will be calm then clip it.u could also have some assistence from someone by having ur husband keep the puppy still and sitting while u clip but remember do it after the pup tires itself out caue labs can be hard to handle if u start training later in life cause they are wickd strong and energetic so do ALL ur training as a pup.good start!!do the same with leash training it get it used to and stiff the leash then every day put it on for a few min. then extend time as time goes on and then u can walk ur dog without it restling the leash.just an fyi-cause a lot of dog owners have that problem cause they never first introduce them with new stuff just get right on with it.remember to be patient.introduce the brush too and all thoe things at early age so they will like it cause they wont if u do it when they are old.hope i helpped:)
Don't laugh, my friend lies on the ground, and clips her dogs nails while he is standing up. It is less drama and the puppy is focusing on balance, so there isn't much protesting. It may look strange, but it works for her. My vet clips my dogs nails, and I bake her peanut butter cookies.
You might want to try going to Whole Foods for some place like that and getting an herbal mix to calm your dog. It really does work. We used to give it to our Cocker who freaked out about everything.





Over time you may be able to stop using it too. After a few months of being on that mix our Cocker was able to realize that her fears had no merit and she kept herself calm on her own.
Benadryl! We give it my my dog every time he has to go for a car ride he really hates the car. But just give your pup the amount that your vet recommends. I use children's because it is easier. Works every time. And my vet recommends it! It won't hurt him at all.
For me personally, I do it in the evening when my puppy is settling down to sleep. I just stroke him lightly and trim the nails.
Do a nail at the time, and reward. One a day. Front paws are more sensitive. Forget Petsmart. Obedience has nothing to do with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment