Saturday, January 23, 2010

My dog won't stop resisting when I try to cut her nails. What can I do to calm her down?

When I say resisting she is on the verge of biting me. I took her to the vet and it took three men to hold her while the vet cut her nails. I adopted her from the animal welfare league and don't know if she has had any problems with getting her nails cut in the past.My dog won't stop resisting when I try to cut her nails. What can I do to calm her down?
First, make sure the dog has just been exercised - either go for a jog or play fetch. This is much easier if the dog is worn out.





Second. You will need lots %26amp; lots of yummy treats (like hot dogs). This might also take 2 people one to gently hold the pup down %26amp; the other to cut the toe nail. The non-cutter person should put a treat deep in their hand %26amp; make a fist, this way the dog kind of has to work to get the treat out which will keep her mind off of the nail cutting.





Trim the nail %26amp; give another treat %26amp; big praise. If she will let you do another nail or two keep going, but if not stop %26amp; start again tomorrow. Sometimes it will take a few days to get them all done.





Other options - you can try using a dremel tool. Use same approach to get dogs acclimated to the tool. If you are cutting with normal clippers, her nails might be too big %26amp; you are just mashing the nail. You might want to use three cuts per nail - first %26amp; second cuts are the sides to make the nail into a pointy ';V'; then third cut to trim the point of the ';V.'; This way has more cutting, but less mashing.My dog won't stop resisting when I try to cut her nails. What can I do to calm her down?
Counter-conditioning and desensitization should do it. Start at a level that she can handle, just before she would normally start to react. For instance, if you can touch her feet but she gets upset when she sees the clippers, start by holding a foot and then giving a treat. Do this four or five times. Next, lie the clippers on the floor near you and hold her foot and then give a treat. When she is relaxed for this, move the clippers closer and repeat. Eventually, hold the clippers and give a treat, touch a nail with the clippers and treat, put a nail in the clippers but don't clip and give a treat, clip one nail and treat, clip two nails and treat, clip a paw and treat, etc.





If she isn't treat motivated, use whatever she loves as a reward.





I have also had very good experience with giving my dog and my cat Rescue Remedy before clipping their nails to calm them down.
My dog hates getting his nails cut and his ears cleaned. I know that the reason why he doesn't want to get them cut is because they are very close to his skin so what I do (although it may sound a bit weird) is that I take him a bath just so that his nails are loosened up and immediately after drying him up a bit with a towel I take my nail filer and i file them down. It's easier for me to file them down than it is to get them cut because I don't want to hurt him.





Another thing you can do is take her to Petsmart or Petco. They are usually pretty good with stuff like that and they have the equipment to restrain while they are trimming, bathing or cutting.





Good Luck!
You really have to be calm yourself!!!!! They featured this on last weeks Dog Whisperer. The thing that they kept saying was that the handler had to be calm, and try to relax the dog. So one person massaged and relaxed the dog, (which apparently took 30 minutes), while the other person cut the nails. I know that is true when my husband cuts our dogs nails. He is the one that needs to relax, and stay relaxed. If the dog gets stressed, my husband stops, and waits for the dog to relax before he continues. It may take a while, but eventually they get it done. Maybe you could play some music that relaxes you, and brings your stress down. good luck
Is she sleepy at all in the mornings? If so, try to do it first thing before she fully wakes up. It may mean doing one nail every day,





other than that, instead of being held down at the vet, they could give her a sedative and do it.





and if that doesn't work, walk her a lot on sidewalks. I hardly ever have to trim my dog's toenails because they're kept nice %26amp; blunt by the walks.
first of all, you can't be doing that if she resists so much. You might end up hurting her. You need to make her feel comfortable. Play with her paws a lot so she feels comfortable you touching, rubbing, grabbing her paws. Once she's okay, try to clip it again. Your experience will be much better.
Ignore her antics. If she tries to bite, use a muzzle. If at any time she settles down and behaves, praise and reward.





Once she knows she HAS to get her nails done, like it or not, she'll get used to it.
when she's sleeping block her in against a wall or something, by sitting squashed up to her (not too hard- just so she cant move)! have someone hold her head down for you so she cant bite and just cut them! - harsh i know! make sure you spoil her after! good luck!
I suggest you use treats. Put her wherever you're going to clip her nails. Then as soon as she's up there give her a treat. While she eats try to clip her nails. Give her treats every time she sits still.
Wait till she's in a deep sleep, then sneak up and clip on or two of her nails, if she starts to freak out. Wait untill shes sleeping again.
pet her. give her love. show her you care and that it needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment