Saturday, January 23, 2010

How do i get my dog to settle down when i clip his nails?

my dog is a german shepherd and he is about 2 years old and i still have trouble keeping him still when i try to clip his nails. and he likes to bite me, I don't like that.How do i get my dog to settle down when i clip his nails?
My husband and I have this same problem with our 2 dogs. We have found that that it works well if we have our dog lay down one of us will sit on one side of him and feed him something (usually bread or peanut butter) while the other person sits on the other side and clips the nails on that side. Then we switch sides. Our dog is so interested in the food that he forgets he is having his nails clipped!!How do i get my dog to settle down when i clip his nails?
Positive reinforcement can help train your GSD to think of nail clipping as a good thing. Although this could be to late, as your dog is already two years old. You may still be able to do this, but it may more time. Start by giving your dog a small treat for sitting still while you play with his paws and holding the clippers. Then gradually add more action to it. I would recommend that you clip just one nail, treat, and then let him go for a while. Gradually increase the nails clipped until he enjoys it. Again this may take a long time, but it will be worth it in the end.
Take him to a professional groomer. They ususally don't charge much, they know how to do it and it is less stress on you and your dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment