Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Our floors are painted/varnished with lead based paint. I want to cover them up..nail down hardwood a problem?

If I nail into the pine flooring that has the lead paint on it...could that create dust? Safer to just lay engineered wood over the top? thanksOur floors are painted/varnished with lead based paint. I want to cover them up..nail down hardwood a problem?
Lead based paint is only a problem if exposed or (God-forbide)..eaten in chips when a child is hungry. You could cover it with carpet or wood. If you use wood, do NOT nail it down. (Countersink with wood screws, or countersink a galvenized nail),,,it depends on a lot of things (the age of the studs, the type of wood.


If it were me, as beautiful and hard to find pine floors are, I'd put a thick coat of varnish on the pine floors (after countersinking all nails and filling all cracks---no matter the colour).


You are sooooooooooooo lucky to have Pine floors...please research them and don't cover them with new hardwood or carpets.Our floors are painted/varnished with lead based paint. I want to cover them up..nail down hardwood a problem?
If you don't sand the old finish it should not create any dust particles in the air from the original lead based paint. To my knowledge there is not any lead in varnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment