Sunday, January 17, 2010

Which would be better glue down or nailed down hardwood floors?

I have bought engineered hardwood floors to remodel my living room. It is quite a big space at 352 square feet. They told me I could either nail them down or glue them down. I already have a plywood subfloor. I feel comfortable installing either way but does anyone have any advantages of one over the other?Which would be better glue down or nailed down hardwood floors?
My only experience with glue down hardwoods was a small area in a bathroom. My customer wanted something a little more water resistant than nail down. Aside from needing the water resistant properties of the glue. I prefer the less messy nail down. Also, if someone one day has to take the floors up, they will thank you for the glue less version.


Make sure you use a vapor barrier with nail down to prevent squeaks and floor movement from moisture absorption.Which would be better glue down or nailed down hardwood floors?
At my home we nail the solid hardwood flooring. But before doing that you well want to make sure if there is any noise from walk across the plywood flooring . That you take care of that. Noise is usually cased from moisture with in the wood. Make sure to use a air pressured nailer that well make it fast and easy to do. And allow space away from the wall as wood well expand and shirk with the weather. The advantage is what ever makes you happy. But I didn't want to deal with the mess of a glue. Over periods of time glue may also come undone. I as well have done three large rooms with solid wood floors and never had a problem with nailing.
Idepends on the type of floor, but when you put down a standard floor a combination of the two is the best, it also helps stop squeeky floors later
even though glue down is more difficult than nail down, since you have engineered floors you will get better results from glue down. The floor will expand and contract less because the glue offers another ply to hold the grain together.


I'm curious why you choose engineered over solid since you have a plywood subfloor?

No comments:

Post a Comment