Friday, January 15, 2010

2 year old lab ran his nails down to quicks. They can't grow as fast as he's wearing them, so what should I do

I know there are nail caps out there, but you glue them on with crazy glue. Although the quicks are no longer bleeding and look tough I'm assuming it would still hurt them to be crazy glued to a nail cap?


What can I do to let them grow back? He's very active so not walking/playing is not an option.


Thank you for any help.2 year old lab ran his nails down to quicks. They can't grow as fast as he's wearing them, so what should I do
For exercising playing, try to keep him on grass/dirt/sand, something soft that won't damage his nails like cement would.


Also dog boots can help for a bit, but if he is wearing his quicks down so much, he might wear the boots out pretty fast, so you'll have to get a pretty durable pair, or a bunch of cheap pairs that can be easily replaced.


Not too sure about the nail covers, I've never used any before.2 year old lab ran his nails down to quicks. They can't grow as fast as he's wearing them, so what should I do
I would have the Vet look at them, keeping him in the fenced back yard if its grass might and then just short walks, they also have those dog booties, but I used them in the winter on my dogs and it was a joke, usually came home with a couple missing, but I would never put crazy glue near my dogs, they would probably have a painful reaction on the skin around the nails, just talk to the Vet he may have an idea, but please don't use crazy glue it irritates peoples skin and it toxic and the only nail thing I've heard of are plastic things that slip over the nail so the nails don't damage hard wood floors and they don't work to good either.
Just keep him in (or in your grassy back yard) until his nails grow a bit. I know it won't be easy but it's a case of ';cruel to be kind'; although it's not really cruel. Also take him out on grass, not concrete. Paths can be very unkind to dog's feet. They need natural surfaces to walk on.
I would think dog boots would e safer than the covers. Your dog may not like them at first, but they should reduce firction and keep the nail clean. I would talk to the vet to see how to best prevent infection.
Walk on grass until they can repair themselve %26amp; grow out. As a responsible owner, you must take the proper actions to helping him get better, even if it means not allowing him to go walk in certain places.
Try dog boots. These can protect his feet, shouldn't hurt his nails, and won't impede his movement too much.





You can buy them online, or in pet stores.
Try dog boots. These can protect his feet, shouldn't hurt his nails, and won't impede his movement too much.





You can buy them online, or in pet stores.
you could try putting little boots on his feet. that might slow down the wearing process and get the nails to grow longer.
socks

No comments:

Post a Comment