Sunday, January 17, 2010

Would you sell everything that wasn't nailed down rather than re-home your dog if finances were tight?

I definitely would sell anything and scrimp until the situation improved again. I know that some of my friends are having a hard time at the moment with mortgages ect.





(Right now we are have a wonderful thunder storm in less than sunny Warwickshire.) I want to move : (Would you sell everything that wasn't nailed down rather than re-home your dog if finances were tight?
I'll keep my pets as long as i can responsibly provide for them and for myself. If there should ever, god forbid, come a time where I couldn't do so I would do what is best for them and place them with someone who COULD responsibly provide for them.





I can make a short term financial trouble work out, but if it became something that was long term, than I would have to make some tough decisions.





Would you sell everything that wasn't nailed down rather than re-home your dog if finances were tight?
I'd sell everything that I could live without.





I already know in the case of an emergency, the two things I would get out of my apartment are:


1) my dog


2) the jewelry-box my dog made for me





I don't really care about any of my other possessions. So I'd have no real problem selling them. (TV, laptop, fishtank, artwork, fur coat, dvds/cds, collectible figurines, etc.)


.
We are already contimplating selling everything that isnt nailed down right now anyways. Mainly because money is tight and im tired of looking at stuff.





But yes, I would do anything physically possible to not have to rehome my dogs. I have and would be late on a bill to take care of them, sell things to take care of them. Anything I could. I made a commitment when I got my dogs, and I won't go back on that now.
MOST DEFINITELY.


i would never give my babies up. I bought them, they're my responsibility it's not their fault if I have financial problems so therefore it's not fair to make it their problem.


I would make it work no matter what. I don't mean be homeless living on the streets, but I have family that I know more than anything would help me by giving me shelter and help me out till I could get back on my feet. Not everyone has that I know, it's going to be a different situation for everyone. But I have other options and I would make sure myself and my dogs were taken care of.


I have heard so many sad stories about people that had to foreclose their homes and they took themselves all their stuff but just left the dog in the back yard to fend for itself. That's so sad and irresponsible.
I would do what I could to keep my dogs, but there are circumstances that cause people to rehome their dogs.


Or even other pets.


New babies, finances, moving to a smaller location or a home that doesnt allow a dog/pet.


I dont like the allergy excuse cause thier are drugs you can take as that is what I have to do.





Selling everything is great if you can do it. But not everyone has money to spend on others junk either.


It is not a matter of just selling things you need to get people to buy them.


and who knows if it will improve. Would you rather the family suffer through the heart ache of trying to feed the dog/pet and the kids and themselves or cut down at least one mouth? (or two) and that being the dogs/pets. rather than the kids.


well I chose my kids as hard as it would be to let my pets go, if I found them a good home then I would let them go before leting them or my children suffer.
I'm going to be logical here.





There are basic things that humans need to survive, and luxuries that make survival easier. While I do love my dogs, I would not put my household or family at risk to keep them if there was an appropriate alternative. Sure, I'd sell the TV, my laptop, some jewelry if needed. But things with serious sentimental value (like my Gandmother's pearls) would not be sold.





And what happens when you run out of things to sell and your finances still haven't improved? What then? Prostitution so you can still afford to feed your dogs? What if someone loses their job? Gets sick? Selling possessions isn't a fool proof solution, and in some cases, delays the inevitable and leaves you with nothing in the process.





With the forclosures, terrible economy, gas prices, and other woes plaguing the country right now, my stance is this: If you cannot afford to provide for every aspect of your animal's care, find someone who can. To do any less is selfish.





EDIT: Thanks to Greekman! I was feeling so alone!
Most definitely! I love my dog! I couldn't stand the fact of giving her away. You can't explain to animals certain situations and that times are hard. She would just be confused and think I was abandoning her :(. I had to leave my Corgi at my parents when I moved to college and it upsets me greatly to think that she doesn't understand why I'm not home and may even think that I've abandoned her.
My dog only costs about 30p a day to feed, (one of the advantages of having a small terrier.) So I can't see how I'd come into a situation where I'd have to start selling things to keep her! If the government gives enough benefit money for people to keep 4 kids in chicken nuggets then it should cover dog food and maybe a biscuit or two.


A dog is worth more to me than any object though, what love do you get from looking at a dusty old piece of jewellery?
I have dealt with this situation, and no amount of selling my stuff would have helped me out.





What if you sold your stuff, and STILL went under? Then you'd have no furniture, and STILL have to rehome your dogs.





You are NO GOOD to your dogs homeless, I have done this on 3, yes, count them, THREE separate occasions (lived in a tent twice, in my car the third) and although my dogs loved being with me, I felt they deserved a better life. When it came time to be homeless the 4th time, or get rid of my dogs, I chose the lesser of two evils, and gave up my dogs to AWESOME HOMES.
I would re-home my dog. That is, after getting rid of everything I could to keep her.





However, I would rather re-home my dog, knowing that a family that could come to love her, play with her, feed her the right foods, etc. would be better for my mind-set, than knowing that all I can do is scrimp by to feed myself and her.
I would make some lifestyle adjustments to keep my dog-- I can do without internet, and could bike to work or carpool. If that type of thing were all that were necessary, then sure. If it meant hardship for the rest of my human family--they come first. If I were looking at something as serious as losing my home and a financial situation that meant I could not care for my dog, I'd have to look at rehoming my dog with a relative (I've already asked, should something happen to me, and they said yes.)





It was one of the determining factors in getting a dog, to honestly look at my finances %26amp; what I could afford. And it is what stops me from getting a second dog now, as much as I'd like one--I'd like to have more of a financial cushion before a second dog comes into the picture.
I am not a rich woman by any means so anything in my house is not a luxury. I would sell things I truly didn't need. I don't have any jewelry besides my engagement ring and wedding band and those will not be sold...sorry. I would try to find a good home for my boys if it came down to it. I have 3 children to think about as well...they come first...animals come next.





Also.... I loved Rachels and Greekmans answer....they are so right on.
I would find a way to feed my dog. Years ago dogs only had scraps anyway and they survived.





I would save a small amount each week for the injections needed each year. It soon mounts up. Even if you didn't have enough saved you would have a good lot towards it.
I'd be on e-bay listing everything l owned, rather than lose my dogs.


They mean far more to me than any material possession.


I'd sell the house and move in rented accommodation first.


Losing them would be like losing my right arm.
I would get rid of the luxuries in my life - but nothing else. I love me dog - but he is NOT my purpose for living. And I think it is LESS selfish to re-home when required than to keep a dog when you cannot provide for it.
Depends on the situation, and if there are children involved, no, for the simple fact if anything happened to the children, you would need the money for them, but if you don't have children, yes I would.
My parents, brothers and cousins are all destinations my dogs hit several times a year for vacations...so it wouldn't really be re-homing. My goal would be to keep them together if it came down to it. ;)
I could never- maybe if it got really rough I would ask my sister to watch them for a bit- BUt I could never re-home them,,...Or be with out them, they are my cumfot and make me feel safe- without them it would be a ton harer
Yes.. I can always get another computer or tv later (besides if finances are tight the cable and internet are getting shut off anyways).
I would absolutely sell everything if it meant that I didn't have to re-home my dog. i have 2 maltese dogs and they mean the world to me and I would do anything for them!
Absolutely not!!! I will not be homeless and not have food to eat or a place to sleep so I can keep my dogs...never happened!!


And to the people that answer ';yes';..think of how your dogs will live and eat when you could not!!
I would never get rid of my dogs or cat no matter what, they're like my kids and i love them to death i would just find a way to make some money. good luck
Oh yea, the furniture and other stuff in the house would go before the dogs would. I love my dogs way too much to ever part with them.
Yes, and everything that IS nailed down (except my dogs` stuff!).


I love my dog, and she is my first priority
Honestly, I don't even think it would cross my mind to re-home the dogs. NOT an option! They are my babies. So yes, of course I would be doing whatever-else I had to do to get by....
I wouldn't part with the Boy(left) for love nor money or any other reason. He wouldn't go and live with anyone else, anyway.
Id rather keep the dog, you could ask a mate to mind it untill u get back on track x
the simple answer...don't re-home your dog!!
Yes, I love my doggie :)
YESS


i love both my dogs to death
Yes. I would sell a kidney to feed and care for my pets. They are not dogs and cats at my house, they are members of the family. I would re-home a member of the family just cause things get tough, and I will not do that to my pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment