Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Can I glue down cedar deck boards and nail them with finish nails?

I have looked at a lot of fastening systems and found a ';This Old House'; web site that suggested something like this. If it is the glue that really holds the boards down, the nails merely hold them in place until the glue dries. Seems to make sense to me. Any thoughts?Can I glue down cedar deck boards and nail them with finish nails?
No nails or glue. Home depot or rona have proper deck screws for all types of wood. The ones for cedar all most match the woodCan I glue down cedar deck boards and nail them with finish nails?
Galvanized screws, for a first rate job..
I would use galvanized screws. With the screws you know that it is going to stay down.
I would not recommend doing so. The glue will deteriorate over time and the finish nails will not hold down weathering decking boards for long. I'd use coated, black screws. If you want get a wood putty to fill in or counter sink the screws and use dow plugs. But I would prefer the look of the flat black screws.
  • revlon colorstay
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment